Maintenance Technician - Indiana Regions Overview:
The graph above shows that there were
4,779 job postings for the occupation of Maintenance Technician in Indiana during 2013 and 2014. The vertical bar chart shows which regions had the most demand for Maintenance Technician. These numbers represent current demand as advertised in online job postings and do not necessarily indicate projected job growth in the future. Nevertheless, these numbers are a valid barometer for gauging recent job demand statewide and regionally in Indiana.
What Maintenance Technician Do:
Perform work involving the skills of two or more maintenance or craft occupations to keep machines, mechanical equipment, or the structure of an establishment in repair. Duties may involve pipe fitting boiler making insulating welding machining carpentry repairing electrical or mechanical equipment installing, aligning, and balancing new equipment and repairing buildings, floors, or stairs.
Common Job Activities:
- Inspect, operate, or test machinery or equipment to diagnose machine malfunctions.
- Dismantle machines, equipment, or devices to access and remove defective parts, using hoists, cranes, hand tools, or power tools.
- Perform routine maintenance, such as inspecting drives, motors, or belts, checking fluid levels, replacing filters, or doing other preventive maintenance actions.
- Diagnose mechanical problems and determine how to correct them, checking blueprints, repair manuals, or parts catalogs, as necessary.
- Repair machines, equipment, or structures, using tools such as hammers, hoists, saws, drills, wrenches, or equipment such as precision measuring instruments or electrical or electronic testing devices.
- Assemble boilers at installation sites, using tools such as levels, plumb bobs, hammers, torches, or other hand tools.
- Maintain or repair specialized equipment or machinery located in cafeterias, laundries, hospitals, stores, offices, or factories.
- Assemble, install, or repair wiring, electrical or electronic components, pipe systems, plumbing, machinery, or equipment.
- Test and treat water supply.
- Clean or lubricate shafts, bearings, gears, or other parts of machinery.
- Adjust functional parts of devices or control instruments, using hand tools, levels, plumb bobs, or straightedges.
- Perform routine maintenance on boilers, such as replacing burners or hoses, installing replacement parts, or reinforcing structural weaknesses to ensure optimal boiler efficiency.
- Order parts, supplies, or equipment from catalogs or suppliers.
- Plan and lay out repair work, using diagrams, drawings, blueprints, maintenance manuals, or schematic diagrams.
- Install equipment to improve the energy or operational efficiency of residential or commercial buildings.
- Set up and operate machine tools to repair or fabricate machine parts, jigs, fixtures, or tools.
- Perform general cleaning duties of buildings or properties.
- Train or manage maintenance personnel or subcontractors.
- Paint or repair roofs, windows, doors, floors, woodwork, plaster, drywall, or other parts of building structures.
- Align and balance new equipment after installation.
- Provide groundskeeping services, such as landscaping or snow removal.
- Operate cutting torches or welding equipment to cut or join metal parts.
- Inspect used parts to determine changes in dimensional requirements, using rules, calipers, micrometers, or other measuring instruments.
- Record type and cost of maintenance or repair work.
- Fabricate or repair counters, benches, partitions, or other wooden structures, such as sheds or outbuildings.
- Estimate costs to repair machinery, equipment, or building structures.
- Position, attach, or blow insulating materials to prevent energy losses from buildings, pipes, or other structures or objects.
- Grind and reseat valves, using valve-grinding machines.
- Design new equipment to aid in the repair or maintenance of machines, mechanical equipment, or building structures.
- Lay brick to repair or maintain buildings, walls, arches, or other structures.
Search by Occupation