Barber / Hair Stylist / Cosmetologist - Indiana Regions Overview:
The graph above shows that there were
2,732 job postings for the occupation of Barber / Hair Stylist / Cosmetologist in Indiana during 2013 and 2014. The vertical bar chart shows which regions had the most demand for Barber / Hair Stylist / Cosmetologist. These numbers represent current demand as advertised in online job postings and do not necessarily indicate projected job growth in the future. Nevertheless, these numbers are a valid barometer for gauging recent job demand statewide and regionally in Indiana.
What Barber / Hair Stylist / Cosmetologist Do:
Provide beauty services, such as shampooing, cutting, coloring, and styling hair, and massaging and treating scalp. May apply makeup, dress wigs, perform hair removal, and provide nail and skin care services.
Common Job Activities:
- Keep work stations clean and sanitize tools such as scissors and combs.
- Bleach, dye, or tint hair, using applicator or brush.
- Cut, trim and shape hair or hairpieces, based on customers' instructions, hair type and facial features, using clippers, scissors, trimmers and razors.
- Schedule client appointments.
- Update and maintain customer information records, such as beauty services provided.
- Demonstrate and sell hair care products and cosmetics.
- Analyze patrons' hair and other physical features to determine and recommend beauty treatment or suggest hair styles.
- Train or supervise other hairstylists, hairdressers and assistants.
- Massage and treat scalp for hygienic and remedial purposes, using hands, fingers, or vibrating equipment.
- Shampoo, rinse, condition and dry hair and scalp or hairpieces with water, liquid soap, or other solutions.
- Operate cash registers to receive payments from patrons.
- Administer therapeutic medication and advise patron to seek medical treatment for chronic or contagious scalp conditions.
- Order, display, and maintain supplies.
- Comb, brush, and spray hair or wigs to set style.
- Develop new styles and techniques.
- Apply water, setting, straightening or waving solutions to hair and use curlers, rollers, hot combs and curling irons to press and curl hair.
- Recommend and explain the use of cosmetics, lotions, and creams to soften and lubricate skin and enhance and restore natural appearance.
- Shape eyebrows and remove facial hair, using depilatory cream, tweezers, electrolysis or wax.
- Clean, shape, and polish fingernails and toenails, using files and nail polish.
- Shave, trim and shape beards and moustaches.
- Apply artificial fingernails.
- Give facials to patrons, using special compounds such as lotions and creams.
- Attach wigs or hairpieces to model heads and dress wigs and hairpieces according to instructions, samples, sketches or photographs.
Search by Occupation