Host / Hostess - Indiana Regions Overview:
The graph above shows that there were
1,262 job postings for the occupation of Host / Hostess in Indiana during 2013 and 2014. The vertical bar chart shows which regions had the most demand for Host / Hostess. These numbers represent current demand as advertised in online job postings and do not necessarily indicate projected job growth in the future. Nevertheless, these numbers are a valid barometer for gauging recent job demand statewide and regionally in Indiana.
What Host / Hostess Do:
Welcome patrons, seat them at tables or in lounge, and help ensure quality of facilities and service.
Common Job Activities:
- Greet guests and seat them at tables or in waiting areas.
- Provide guests with menus.
- Assign patrons to tables suitable for their needs and according to rotation so that servers receive an appropriate number of seatings.
- Speak with patrons to ensure satisfaction with food and service, to respond to complaints, or to make conversation.
- Answer telephone calls and respond to inquiries or transfer calls.
- Take and prepare to-go orders.
- Operate cash registers to accept payments for food and beverages.
- Maintain contact with kitchen staff, management, serving staff, and customers to ensure that dining details are handled properly and customers' concerns are addressed.
- Inspect dining and serving areas to ensure cleanliness and proper setup.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of dining room staff to ensure that patrons receive prompt and courteous service.
- Inform patrons of establishment specialties and features.
- Receive and record patrons' dining reservations.
- Inspect restrooms for cleanliness and availability of supplies and clean restrooms when necessary.
- Order or requisition supplies and equipment for tables and serving stations.
- Assist with preparing and serving food and beverages.
- Direct patrons to coatrooms and waiting areas such as lounges.
- Hire, train, and supervise food and beverage service staff.
- Prepare cash receipts after establishments close, and make bank deposits.
- Prepare staff work schedules.
- Confer with other staff to help plan establishments' menus.
- Plan parties or other special events and services.
- Perform marketing and advertising services.
Search by Occupation