Mechanical Engineer - Indiana Regions Overview:
The graph above shows that there were
3,993 job postings for the occupation of Mechanical Engineer in Indiana during 2013 and 2014. The vertical bar chart shows which regions had the most demand for Mechanical Engineer. These numbers represent current demand as advertised in online job postings and do not necessarily indicate projected job growth in the future. Nevertheless, these numbers are a valid barometer for gauging recent job demand statewide and regionally in Indiana.
What Mechanical Engineer Do:
Perform engineering duties in planning and designing tools, engines, machines, and other mechanically functioning equipment. Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of equipment such as centralized heat, gas, water, and steam systems.
Common Job Activities:
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, or computer-generated reports.
- Research, design, evaluate, install, operate, or maintain mechanical products, equipment, systems or processes to meet requirements.
- Confer with engineers or other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, or provide technical information.
- Investigate equipment failures or difficulties to diagnose faulty operation and recommend remedial actions.
- Develop, coordinate, or monitor all aspects of production, including selection of manufacturing methods, fabrication, or operation of product designs.
- Recommend the use of utility or energy services that minimize carbon footprints.
- Develop or test models of alternate designs or processing methods to assess feasibility, sustainability, operating condition effects, potential new applications, or necessity of modification.
- Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design, performance specifications, or environmental regulations.
- Recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
- Assist drafters in developing the structural design of products, using drafting tools or computer-assisted drafting equipment or software.
- Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, or repair to ensure that machines or equipment are installed and functioning according to specifications.
- Conduct research that tests or analyzes the feasibility, design, operation, or performance of equipment, components, or systems.
- Evaluate mechanical designs or prototypes for energy performance or environmental impact.
- Direct the installation, operation, maintenance, or repair of renewable energy equipment, such as heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) or water systems.
- Design test control apparatus or equipment or develop procedures for testing products.
- Provide feedback to design engineers on customer problems or needs.
- Research and analyze customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, or other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, or maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
- Design integrated mechanical or alternative systems, such as mechanical cooling systems with natural ventilation systems, to improve energy efficiency.
- Apply engineering principles or practices to emerging fields, such as robotics, waste management, or biomedical engineering.
- Estimate costs or submit bids for engineering, construction, or extraction projects.
- Write performance requirements for product development or engineering projects.
- Perform personnel functions, such as supervision of production workers, technicians, technologists, or other engineers.
- Solicit new business.
- Calculate energy losses for buildings, using equipment such as computers, combustion analyzers, or pressure gauges.
- Provide technical customer service.
- Study industrial processes to maximize the efficiency of equipment applications, including equipment placement.
- Establish or coordinate the maintenance or safety procedures, service schedule, or supply of materials required to maintain machines or equipment in the prescribed condition.
- Select or install combined heat units, power units, cogeneration equipment, or trigeneration equipment that reduces energy use or pollution.
Search by Occupation